As a Pupil Referral Unit, admissions to Old Warren House are through the Local Authority’s In Year Fair Access Panels (IYFAPs). There are three panels (North Suffolk, Ipswich and South Suffolk, and West Suffolk) that meet every month for primary and secondary admissions to alternative provisions (including PRUs). Admission to Old Warren House is through the North panel. Additional support through the outreach services, ‘managed moves’ to other mainstream schools, referral to the educational psychology services and other strategies are also considered in these meetings. The panel consists of representatives (senior leaders) from all mainstream schools, the educational psychology service, the Early Help team, Youth Offending, LA Outreach services, the inclusion team within the LA and Heads or their Deputies from each alternative provider or PRU.
Where a young person is struggling to access their learning in a mainstream school because of their complex social, emotional or mental health needs, their very poor attendance, or they are at risk of permanent exclusion from the school, the parents/ carers and school can agree to make a referral for an alternative provision placement, such as moving to Harbour through the IYFAP. Unless a child has been permanently excluded they will remain on the roll of their mainstream school while they attend Harbor to enable the reintegration back to that school after a period of 2-3 terms.
- Once a place is agreed, Old Warren House works with the young person, the parents/carers and their current school to enable a smooth transition. This includes:
- A meeting with the young person and their parents/ carers to introduce Old Warren House and discuss what we can offer. This is often at home.
- A visit to Old Warren House to meet staff and students, identify transport needs and make option choices for our vocational placements.
- An assessment of need to ensure the learning offer meets the individual needs of each young person.
- A possible gradual induction timetable, supporting the young person to access their learning at Old Warren House at a pace which suits them.
For more information please Click Here